Something new...

Something new that I've started doing are different 'takes' on a given character. As an instance, a few days ago I painted the character below:



Now, I started with the idea of a character w/ big, sharp teeth. No hair really, and no real nose to speak of... Just a very bare bones sketch of a concept. Then I just kinda went for it, and let the painting take me where it would. I have to admit I was pleased w/ the result. Then I saved it and went back to work on some pages. I came back the next day to see how I felt about my design.

I didn't like it very much the second time.

So leaving the first image open, I created a new file and started painting new design within the same basic ideas I had painted the original. The second piece came out a lot more 'real', I guess, in my opinion. The original, while seeming kind of funny, or belonging more in a cartoony world, really helped put me in the headspace to do the second. Not only that but may of the things I tried in the first painting were used in the next and really sped up my painting. I plan to try more of these in the near future. Until then, Peace!

Comments

Anonymous said…
that first one reminds me of slimer from ghostbusters but more awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

Land of Oz: the Manga

Dragon Arms update