Mind Numbing Horrors

David Hockney...

I just want to write that name down before I forget it.

If you know me, you know I don't do very much writing on the information super highway. I also rarely comment on other artists and there work. Generally, I hold to the old saying, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything".

Rob Liefeld for instance. I see any number of people on the internet slam Liefeld. Calling him an 'idiot', painting him as bad person, making ludicrous statements like, "Liefeld has never seen a woman", and other obvious lies. Those that love Liefeld, love and defend him with all of their hearts. Those that hate him, attack with a savagery usually reserved for rapists and murderers.

I think I may be feeling some of that hate myself right now.

Not for Liefeld, but for an individual that I've never heard of before today. His name is David Hockney. Apparently his a famous British artist. As I said, I'm not familiar with the man or his art. What I've learned today has polarized me against this person for life.

Why, you ask? Mr Hockney makes this claim; the works of the Old Masters, painters like Vermeer, Da Vinci and others are too perfect to have been created without the aid of devices such as Camera Obscura and other techniques to trace images onto canvas and then to paint over them.

...

I can't say with 100% certainty what the Old Masters did or did not do, no one can. No one records every move they make. But I think I can safely say that the ability, skill, knowledge, and yes, mastery of art these people displayed is not founded solely in a primitive artograph.

Hockney's theory is timely, if anything. Is there anyone left in world today without a 'secret' to expose? This kind of revisionist history is taking place everywhere. No genius, statesman, or artisan is above being 'taken down' a few notches by jealous assholes who bank on a general ignorance of how such exceptional works are achieved.

Because Hockney is considered some kind of an artist, and not a soulless void forced to feed off the life and vitality of others, his points are taken as fact. This man has actually managed to divide the art world with this theory. Madness!

I wish I could just concoct any ole lie that comes into my mind, then go on television and talk about it as if I were discussing reality. Unquestioned and unchallenged...

Certainly there are people out there that know this man is telling an elaborate joke, but braincells are few and far between sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind theories. I don't even mind Hockney's theory. I sure there are some artists from those times that experimented and used concave mirrors and other devices to aid them. I will never believe that most did it habitually and then lied, and instructed their students and everyone that ever learned to draw and paint as they did to lie about it for over five hundred years.

Next, he'll tell us how this is all part of the Illuminati's plan.

I can understand jealousy. I can understand disappointment. But to say that 'no one' can come close to the ideal of the Old Masters, not even they themselves, is to make a mockery of art and artistic achievement. I've seen people that can draw like the Old Masters. Young people. I'm sure we've all heard of ingenious forgers, who, using the same techniques as the Old Masters, have fooled experts time and again. Unlike this individual.

But, no.

Tracers.

Sigh... Maybe he's right, even Liefeld has been known to 'borrow' from time to time.

Comments

Data said…
Hey Hutch! This isn't even about the post you made, but I figured I'd drop you a line just to say Hi and that I keep finding books by you. Every time I find something by you I snatch it up from my comic store. (the perks of working there, I get lots of stuff) Good to see you have a blog on here, check out mine datapike.blogspot.com or my vlog on youtube - it's amusing.
Well, hope the holidays are going smoothly and that Santa Claus treats you well, and I'll catch ya around sometime. Peace.

Popular posts from this blog

Land of Oz: the Manga

Dragon Arms update